In 1948, outdated bakery ovens were newly replaced by masonry ovens with the baking conveyor belt. The new ovens were fired with coal, brought by rail to bakery’s fuel warehouse. Additionally, at the same period, mechanization of some procedures for dough preparation, distribution and maturation began.
Due to mechanization, the capacity of the bakery doubled. Thus the industrial bread production period began.
„ New ovens were about the size of a room. It was fitted with a conveyor and a chain-mounted cradle-shelf. Six loaves of Kaunas bread would be fitted. An actuator turned the conveyor round – after one shelf was lifted, another would arrive. So, the bread would make two rounds in the oven, until the full bake. It would take about 60 minutes“, – tells a long time Vilniaus Duona veteran I. Šiaulys.
The mechanized operations led to a rapid increase in the quantity of baked bread, but the number of employees had remained virtually unchanged.
With the rapid Vilnius population growth (from 110 thousand in 1944, to 236.1 thousand in 1959), the planned construction development of new bread bakeries started in Vilnius. Already in 1946 at Konarskio Street, a new bakery was built. There new conveyor baking ovens were fitted.
In 1956, a new Vilniaus Duona bakery opened at Tuskulėnų Street, with production workshops for bagels and rolls.
The bakery built in 1958 was used for military purposes – both black and white rectangular shaped bread loaves were baked for the army.
Bakery on Saltoniškių Street was completed and launched in 1959.
In the year of 1961, the gas pipeline reached Vilnius, the first gas torch was lit up in Vingis Park, and the period of gas fuels in bakery begins. Coal-stoked ovens are rearranged into gas-stoked ovens in bakeries.
In 1962, after uniting of all bakeries operating in Vilnius, the flagship of the Lithuanian bread, The Association of Vilniaus Duona Bread Baking Companies, is founded. The association included a bakery on Konarskio Street (1st Bread Bakery), a bakery on Tuskulėnų Street (2nd Bread Bakery), an old bakery on Vivulskio Street (3rd Bread Bakery) and a bakery on Saltoniškių street (4th Bread Bakery).
In order to improve the supply of high-quality bread and pastries to residents and sanatorium guests of Druskininkai resort, the Druskininkai Bread Bakery was affiliated to the Association of Vilniaus Duona Bread Baking Companies.
The Association of Vilniaus Duona Bread Baking Companies administrative headquarters were located in the area of the 3rd bakery (Vivulskio St. 41). The Vilnius Duona headquarters stayed at this location until 2008.
Bakeries with low productivity and not enough efficiency were closed down, with some buildings transferred to Vilniaus Maisto Prekyba. A new phase has begun, lasting three decades, of Vilniaus Duona renovation, equipment modernization, and construction.
Already in 1967, in the 3rd Bakery an additional outbuilding was constructed, where after the installation of two pasta production lines, a new pasta workshop was launched. Workshop’s productivity maximum – 30 tons per day. This resulted in Vilniaus Duona becoming the largest pasta producer in Lithuania.